Stella Gibson, hard boiled detective and stunning feminist icon.
To celebrate the incredibly exciting news that Janelle Monáe and Kimbra will be touring Australia together, I plan to listen (and dance) to their cover of Aretha Franklin’s ‘Rock Steady’ and Michael Jackson’s ‘Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin” all day.
Perfect post. Have you heard Julia Murney’s cover of it?
Thanks! And no I haven’t, but I would definitely like to if you have a link.
Everyone - please send more Joni Mitchell cover recommendations my way if you have a favourite!
Sunday afternoon, with its regular touch of melancholy, requires a suitable soundtrack. Today I’ve returned to one of my most regularly played tracks, Joni Mitchell’s ‘A Case of You’ (above), and its various cover versions. Here are five of my favourite covers for you to enjoy as you begin to plan your week…
- Joni Mitchell’s re-recorded track from Both Sides Now (2000)
- Aaron Tveit from The Radio In My Head: Live at 54 Below (with ‘She’s Always a Woman’)
- K.D. Lang from Hymns of the 49th Parallel (2004)
- Diana Krall from Live in Paris (2002)
- Tori Amos from the Under the Pink B-Sides CD, More Pink (1994)
If you’re still after more, there are also covers by James Blake and Ana Moura, and I quite like Kina Grannis’s cover, which I heard for the first time today. If you have any other recommendations, please let me know!
Abbi Jacobson & Ilana Glazer